Re: Compare Swarm with Repast

From: Jan Burse
Subject: Re: Compare Swarm with Repast
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 00:46:46 +0200

Dear All

> There are other packages I've heard of but never tracked down, including
> Quicksilver and a one called AgentSheets.

Ah yes, quicksilver. Lets see what will happen with it.

We have made it Open Source Free Software. You are already
welcome to download some code and some documentation. We
have stripped the code from a too complicated prolog interpreter,
so its now a pure Java API toolkit with a lesser AI touch and also
a lesser GNU public licence. You can find it at:

http://quicksilver.tigris.org

Probably there will now be a little branching of the further quick-
silver development. But maybe this will be rather a cure than a
harm, what concerns the diversity of new components. We have
already analysed the possible branching a little and identified a
kind of a core, which could be the base for a further development.
It has been documented at:

http://www.eawag.ch/~mmoptmod/core/intro/results/results.pdf

We will soon upload the source into the source code area of tigris. I
can then give passwords to interested parties. The area can be
accessed via CVS products. So if you have ideas please do not
hesitate to contact us, so that we can start some issue tracking
and organisation of the source code area.

Quicksilver is not so spectacular. But our experience was, that
it was quite welcome in class rooms, provided the students had
some working Java knowledge. We would be also happy if teacher
will download it.

Best Regards
--
address@hidden