Re: Compare Swarm with Repast

From: gepr
Subject: Re: Compare Swarm with Repast
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:41:39 -0700

Gulyas Laszlo writes:
 > > Problems with Java.
 > >
 > > 1) Its slow
 >
 > OK. Compared to, exactly what? It's much slower than
 > C, of course, but I am not sure about Objective-C (with
 > TCL/TK, JavaSwarm, etc.). Especially not on a Windows
 > computer that acutally has to emulate Unix to start it up.

Actually, I doubt that it's much slower than Objective-C, if at all.

The only place this *might* be an issue is in computationally
expensive tasks.  If you use Objective-C, you can ball all of the
expensive stuff into a C routine and get high performance.  Then the
integration is trivial.  To do that with Java is less
trivial... though it's still pretty simple.  Of course, it then risks
your "portability".

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 831.335.4950                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr