Re: swarm support (was compare swarm with repast)

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: swarm support (was compare swarm with repast)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:57:29 -0600

There exists the idea under the swarm developers that OSX is cool, but not to be taken seriously. If we could change the believes of the agents, we would get another behavior from them.

OS X is a based on Darwin, a BSD-like system based on the Mach microkernel.
The microkernel has had numerous extensions (loadable kernel drivers) and optimizations (RPC calls optimized into function calls) and the system as a whole works pretty well now. At the application level, OS X is a very usable system. The Microsoft Office suite is elegant, and the Chimera Netscape browser renders beautiful text via Quartz. On the toolchain side, Apple has an active compiler team and their extensions like precompiled headers will probably be incorporated into the mainline GCC sources over time, or at least inspire a new implementation. Altivec SIMD support is in the latest release of stock GCC. Likewise, device support is very good. Firewire devices work better on Mac OS X than on Linux-based systems or Microsoft Windows, for example.

So I'd say I'd have as good as grasp as anyone here where Mac OS X is at these days. The reason this "swarm developer" is not working on this project is simply because no one has provided me with an incentive to do that. (Other than that it is a "good idea" or whatever.)