Re: swarm support (was compare swarm with repast)

From: gepr
Subject: Re: swarm support (was compare swarm with repast)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:54:48 -0700

Jacobo Myerston writes:
 > > That's not quite true.
 >
 > So, it is in part true.

Yes, of course, in the same way that I'm interested in lots of
things but have to prioritize my time.  So, many people are
interested, including at least 2 of the 7 main developers of
Swarm.

 > Alex Perrone got most of the swarm code compiled and asked for help in
 > order to port the rest of the libraries, but he din't get an answer in
 > the support list.

That's unfortunate.  But, it's part of being involved in an all
volunteer community.

 > There exists the idea under the swarm developers that OSX is cool, but
 > not to be taken seriously.  If we could change the believes of the
 > agents, we would get another behavior from them.  Actually OSX can be
 > used for serious development, think in a cluster of multiprocessor
 > xservers for distributed simulations.

Those who believe OSX can be used for serious development should step
up and ensure that OSX can be used for serious development.

I don't.... yet.  OSX is a *very* young system.  The fact that it's
based on Mach and FreeBSD, has a for-profit corporation behind it, and
takes advantage of a number of robust technologies argue in favor of
its success.  But, it's just an argument.

When trying to change the beliefs of a group of agents, each of which
has her own system of beliefs, you have to do a bit of marketing.
Apple has begun that marketing.  There are many early adopters, of
which I am one in many respects.  It also has it's middle-tier and its
late adopters.

The best way to get past the early adoption period is to demonstrate,
in indisputable terms, the serious development capabilities of the OS.

Alessandro is doing just that and he is an indispensible asset to
our community.

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 831.335.4950                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr