Re: swarm support (was compare swarm with repast)

From: gepr
Subject: Re: swarm support (was compare swarm with repast)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:43:01 -0700

Jacobo Myerston writes:
 > One of the problems of swarm, in my opinion, is portability. Swarm is in
 > some way  windows and redhat-centric (installing swarm in other linux
 > distribution is not easy anymore), for this reason the swarm community
 > is making no use of the advances that other platforms  offer.  I think
 > the macosx port of swarm should be crucial for the SDG, because
 > Objetive-C is also the native programming language of osx  (Objective-C
 > is no longer an ancient programming language only used by swarm
 > programmers). Nevertheless no main swarm-developer has showed interest
 > in the macosx-port.

That's not quite true.  Two of the 7 members on the Savannah project
page <http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/swarm/> have expressed interest
in the Mac OSX port.  And, since we don't have staff anymore, the
members of that group are the only ones we could call "main
swarm-developers".

I'll go ahead and register my interest, as well.  About 6 months ago,
I switched to Mac OSX as my "lightweight" OS.... i.e. I use an iBook
when I travel.  There's no way I'll ever use it for serious
development; but, it would be cool if I could use/build toy models on
it.

Also, I use Debian for my development.  I've only used RedHat once in
my lifetime (and I'm not proud of that period of degeneracy [grin]).
And Swarm installs and works fine on Debian.

That said, however, we do have a much more serious portability
situation than a 100% Java system would.  Any native-code project of
this complexity would be in that situation, though.

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 831.335.4950                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr