Re: swarm support (was compare swarm with repast)

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: swarm support (was compare swarm with repast)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 00:44:33 -0700

Since I haven't had the technical knowledge to contribute anything on the discussions about Objective-C and Java, I have just been sitting back and enjoying the wide range of thoughts. Although I know a number of programming languages, I have only learned one of them in a formal setting and that was back in high school, so my knowledge of the computer science-type issues is low. Discussions like this help me to understand what the consequences of my implementation language choices are without having to research issues that are not at the top of my list. So, thanks to the contributors.

One of my concerns as it relates to this discussion regards teaching. As one of Lars Erik's students four years ago, I know how hard it was for me to grasp Objective-C and Swarm. Now, I feel very comfortable with both and can turn ideas into code pretty quickly (when I get a chance to code.)

But, I haven't had much time to code. Part of that is because I am a strictly Mac person. And, while I eventually did get Swarm running on my G3 under a Linux PPC setup, it took a lot of work and I never really understood what I was doing (thanks again for Alex, Marcus, and Paul for helping me through that period.) Unfortunately, about a year ago, the hard drive with Linux PPC on it died and I just haven't had the energy to go through another installation.

Further, I have a great new Mac Titanium Powerbook that I am loving and wouldn't want to mess up with partitioning for Linux PPC (which would seem particularly silly given the Unix/BSD/Darwin implementation.) All of the brain imaging analysis software that was originally developed for multiprocessor Unix systems, Silicon Graphics, Alphas, and Sun workstations is now on my laptop, so I have no need to trek to the opposite side of campus and use their equipment for fMRI analysis. But, whenever I have a good modeling idea. My only current option is to go to my old office at the law school and use it on the Swarm install I have on their PC. Far from ideal.

So, I have been hoping Swarm on Mac OSX would come out, but remain in a holding pattern on that.

And, when I think about my future role as an instructor, I fear the challenges Lars Erik had in getting everyone installed with Swarm (your modal poli sci grad student (or undergrad) is no where near the computer geek that I am and I am low on the computer geek totem pole for this mail list.) I have to work hard to help grad students get synched up with using Excel or SPSS, and I have nightmares about what Swarm installation and programming would be like.

The installation of the last official version of Swarm was a cinch on Windows. If something like that would be available for Mac OS X, it would be _very_ useful to me and allow me start sketching my computational model for my dissertation (a computational model of political cognition.)

My swarm options as I see them now are:

1) buy a PC
2) load Virtual PC on my powerbook and use Swarm on top of Linux or Windows (this is how I wrote my political parties model) 3) pray for Swarm on OS X and experience mystical ecstasy when I finally run Swam on my own computer again

So, this is my wandering plea for the Swarm port. As a grad student, that is the best incentive I can offer (plus my next meager donation to the Swarm Development Group). It isn't just a good idea because Macs are nice computers, it's a good idea because Swarm users like me are committed to Agent-Based Modeling and to Macs and yet lack the skill set to port software.

        Darren