Re: swarm support (was compare swarm with repast)

From: Jacobo Myerston
Subject: Re: swarm support (was compare swarm with repast)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:14:46 -0400

On Monday, August 12, 2002, at 01:43 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Jacobo Myerston writes:
One of the problems of swarm, in my opinion, is portability. Swarm is in
some way  windows and redhat-centric (installing swarm in other linux
distribution is not easy anymore), for this reason the swarm community
is making no use of the advances that other platforms  offer.  I think
the macosx port of swarm should be crucial for the SDG, because
Objetive-C is also the native programming language of osx  (Objective-C
is no longer an ancient programming language only used by swarm
programmers). Nevertheless no main swarm-developer has showed interest
in the macosx-port.

That's not quite true.

So, it is in part true.

Alex Perrone got most of the swarm code compiled and asked for help in order to port the rest of the libraries, but he din't get an answer in the support list.

Two of the 7 members on the Savannah project
page <http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/swarm/> have expressed interest
in the Mac OSX port.  And, since we don't have staff anymore, the
members of that group are the only ones we could call "main
swaDelianrm-developers".

I'll go ahead and register my interest, as well.  About 6 months ago,
I switched to Mac OSX as my "lightweight" OS.... i.e. I use an iBook
when I travel.  There's no way I'll ever use it for serious
development; but, it would be cool if I could use/build toy models on
it.

There exists the idea under the swarm developers that OSX is cool, but not to be taken seriously. If we could change the believes of the agents, we would get another behavior from them. Actually OSX can be used for serious development, think in a cluster of multiprocessor xservers for distributed simulations.

Also, I use Debian for my development.  I've only used RedHat once in
my lifetime (and I'm not proud of that period of degeneracy [grin]).
And Swarm installs and works fine on Debian.

That said, however, we do have a much more serious portability
situation than a 100% Java system would.  Any native-code project of
this complexity would be in that situation, though.

--
glen e. p. ropella =><= Hail Eris! H: 831.335.4950 http://www.ropella.net/~gepr
M: 831.247.7901

Swarm-Modelling is for discussion of Simulation and Modelling techniques esp. using Swarm. For list administration needs (esp. [un]subscribing),