Re: [Swarm-Modelling] SWARM on Clusters

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] SWARM on Clusters
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:48:35 -0700

Sunwoo Park wrote:

But, for example, (1) if models perform considerable amount of computation in a single
simulation phase (or cycle) with minimum communication between agents
(2) if the size and/or scalability of simulation models is much important
than performance (or execution time)
do you still think multi-threading approach is better than message passing
because of the nature of SWARM even in above cases ?
Well, in say Java/Swarm you could use RMI to distribute agents onto different computers and just block on the calls. That's not a feature of Swarm, but something a person could do without much work.

In general, processor count and memory being equal, I think big fast parallel machines NUMA shared memory systems are more useful than independent machines running independent operating systems (e.g. Beowulf clusters).

Also, could you give me some information (or link) on SWARM models/projects
that are already done or planned for 'large-scale' simulation  ?
For example, is there any SWARM project that uses more than 256 (or 512)
nodes in MPP machines ?
I'm not aware of any, but maybe someone else has done that with Swarm or another toolkit.