Re: [Swarm-Modelling] SWARM on Clusters and "Models in the Wild"

From: gepr
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] SWARM on Clusters and "Models in the Wild"
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:20:07 -0800

Darren Schreiber writes:
 > I am quite convinced that the biggest thing the ABM community needs now
 > is to develop some coherency with regards to model evaluation.  I use
[...]
 > My vision for ABM is to have a toolset that would be something akin to
 > a Drone on steroids, that would easily allow a modeler to put the model
 > through a somewhat standardized set of evaluation procedures.  You
[...]
 > None of what I have described requires miracles of programming.  But,
 > it would certainly require some coordinated effort, vision, and
 > probably funding.  I do think it would help me sleep better at night in
[...]

This is spot-on, Darren.

In fact, it is exactly what we're doing at <http://biosystems.ucsf.edu/>.

We're at the stage now where we've developed some very low-level, but
interesting, math for how to compare certain kinds of model
observables (float-valued time-series).  We've developed and published
a method for generating models (though not as "opaque" as I'd like
them... more along the lines Rick is espousing).  And we're continuing
to push on the experts in our domain to get the points across.

In the near to medium term, we'll begin using soft computing to
generate truly opaque models that are selected according to the
objective functions set forth by the math.  It's also my hope that
we'll be able to realize more sophisticated evolution using implicit
selection and co-evolution for models.  But, that's just a dream,
really. [grin]

As usual (and I'm demonstrating myself to be a hypocrite due to all
the abuse I've doled out to others who've said what I'm about to say
ever since I started being involved with Swarm ;-), our code isn't
ready to be used by those outside Tony's lab.  But, our plans are to
make all our code available, eventually.

In the meantime, I would _love_ to participate in a project to develop
a more general-purpose, coarse-grained, model evaluation toolkit,
which might double as the more generic compute-distribution mechanism
Andy describes.

So, how about it?  Shall we start a project and begin working on it?
I'm sure none of us has the time to commit... But, if we don't start,
we'll never finish.  And I'd rather start the project and then fail
through lack of resources than fail through lack of ever getting
started.

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 503.630.4505                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr