[Swarm-Modelling] Re: [Swarm-Support] Repast vs. Swarm

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] Re: [Swarm-Support] Repast vs. Swarm
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:49:38 -0800

Anju Dahiya wrote:
Quoting "Marcus G. Daniels" <address@hidden>:

By the way I need your answer to fill the just started MAS FAQs topic: Is agent
based modeling a dodgy scientific activity?
http://ecoinformatics.uvm.edu/projects/ibm/mas.html

(we're getting into stuff that belongs in Swarm Modeling)

I must comment because I'm deep into producing a book on how to do serious theoretical science with agent-based models. I think "innovative" is a better word that dodgy, but I know exactly what Marcus means. To some people (including one reviewer of a draft of our book), if you are not doing differential equations you are not doing science at all. But all important innovations have to deal with that kind of conservative response. I think agent-based modeling is rapidly becoming mainstream in some fields, especially economics and ecology.

But we are all here because we know that classical modeling approaches like differential equations are themselves dodgy for many systems. The problem is that we're still figuring out how to do science based on simulation. What is "theory", how do you "prove" stuff, how do you draw general conclusions? The answers to these questions are easier than people realize, but do require thinking about systems in different ways. (Especially: how do you model *individuals* so that *system* dynamics of interest are reproduced?)

One key to making ABS more acceptable as science is developing common, widely used modeling concepts, terms, frameworks, and tools. To me one of the coolest things about Swarm is that the project started off with the goal of meeting these needs; and has succeeded to some extent.

Steve

--
Lang, Railsback & Associates
250 California Ave.