Re: models in the wild (was Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Re: [Swarm-Support] Re

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: models in the wild (was Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Re: [Swarm-Support] Repast vs. Swarm)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:38:03 -0500 (EST)

Just one more note:

I call what i do "modeling" as opposed to "simulation"
in order to take the emphasis off the criteria of mimicing outputs.
Ie, it reminds me that i am simplifying both the
mechanisms *and* the outputs.
I like Holland's description of modeling as
being like drawing political cartoons --- we emphasize,
even to the point of exageration, certain aspects
of a system, de-emphasizing and ignoring other aspects,
in order to better understand *one part* of what is "fundemental"
about the system under study.

For me, "simulation" conotates systems like "flight simulators"
where the more details are matched, the better.
For the kinds of models i am interested in,
that is not the right criteria.

Along those lines, I point my students to the Borges story,
"On Exactitude in Science", in Dream Tigers i think.

And i guess i do put a fair amount of emphasis on
the criteria that the mechanisms in my model
should be plausible, if simple, versions of the
mechanisms i think are going on in the system being modeled.
So its not "no holds barred" to mimic some desired
dynamics or structures.

- r

--
Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Center for the Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)