Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Re: [Swarm-Support] Repast vs. Swarm

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Re: [Swarm-Support] Repast vs. Swarm
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2004 22:50:05 -0700

Anju Dahiya wrote, quoting Helen Couclelis:

“Agent-based modeling meets an intuitive desire to explicitly represent humandecision making when modeling systems where we know for a fact that human decision making plays a major role. However, by doing so, the well-known problems of modeling a highly complex, dynamic spatial environment are compounded by the problems of modeling highly complex, dynamic decision-making units interacting with that environment and among themselves in highly complex, dynamic ways. The question is whether the benefits of that approach to spatial modeling exceed the considerable costs of the added dimensions of complexity introduced into the modeling effort. The answer is far from clear and in, my mind, it is in the negative. But then I am open to being persuaded otherwise”.

Spatial data mining can certainly be complex by itself. But it's hard to infer from a dataset the possibility of, say, cycles of movement of agents, without lots of finely-spaced snaphots in time. Given constraints about the overall movements, just throwing the idea against the wall and seeing how it would work on the landscape with a simulation using reasonable, constrained ranges of parameters can be easier and more convincing than an (also imperfect) inference.