Re: models in the wild (was Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Re: [Swarm-Support] Re

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: models in the wild (was Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Re: [Swarm-Support] Repast vs. Swarm)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:25:48 -0500 (EST)

re glenn's and others comments about ABM as another "tool"--
right, different modeling approaches are appropriate or not
depending on the modeling goals, system being modeled, etc.

re glen's comment:
> The direction to move into is to create computational devices that you
> experiment with/on.  You have to treat these _devices_ like they are
> material objects to be used in an experiment.  And that means abandoning
> the idea of mimicking things.

I may not be understanding what you are saying, but if i am, i
would put it a bit differently:

*One* direction to go is the direction you talk about, i.e.,
treating the ABS as a system:
> I believe that agent-based _systems_ (not "models") are an ideal way
> to approach this type of "models gone wild" (sorry, I couldn't resist
> ;-) development of _method_.  It's much more natural and intuitive to
> think of ABSes as "analogs", with an existence apart from any
> referent, than it is to think of systems of equations that way.

But I think *another* reasonable direction to go is to treat ABM's
as *models*, just as diffyQs or other formalisms (or informalisms)
are models, i.e., a simplified version of some "real" system,
which (more or less) generates some of the same dynamics,patterns,etc,
of interest in the real system, which needs "verifcation" and
"validation" as appropriate given the modeling goals, and given
the possibilities (given the complexity of the system being modeled...
see Steve Bankes on "Deep Uncertainty").

A thought provoking article in the ALife literature that
covers many of these issues is:

  Di Paolo, Nobe and Bullock.  Simulation Models as Opaque Thought
  Experiments (Postscript)  Artificial Life VII: The Seventh International
  Conference on the Simulation and Synthesis of Living Systems, Reed
  College, Portland, Oregon, USA, 1-6 August, 2000.

But as i say, maybe i'm missing glen's point.

- r

--
Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Center for the Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)