Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Floating point arithmetic

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Floating point arithmetic
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 11:03:20 -0600

Russell Standish wrote:

I am very *unconvinced* that we need yet another computer language to
solve the issues. C++ works extremely well in a high performance
setting, and its curious that it wasn't mentioned in any of those
articles (only Fortran, which is becoming more C++ like by the year).
I agree that C++ is versatile enough to provide the scalability sought by Chapel and Fortress. Existing commercial OpenMP compilers go a fair ways toward that, as do packages POOMA (http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/freepooma). The question is how many people will run screaming in the process. Both Microsoft and Sun apparently felt C++'s user domain was limited, thus we have C# and Java.

The design of these two new languages is motivated by the DARPA HPCS initative to improve programmer productivity for scientific and engineering applications. In other words, make it easy to learn a modern object-oriented language while still providing crucial control over locality and numerics, that, for example, Java lacks. Besides control, both languages contribute new functional ideas absent in C++. Fortress offers an object model based on Traits (http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~black/publications/TR_CSE_02-012.pdf) and Chapel introduces structural abstractions and operators on them from the ZPL language (http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/zpl/papers/papers.html). For example, in ZPL, one can declare that an array is sparse, and the compiler will encode and traverse it appropriately. In terms of transparency to scientific users, Fortress facilitates direct use of mathematical notion in programs. This talk (http://research.sun.com/sunlabsday/docs/Talks/Track1/1.02_steele.pdf) has a variety of examples of that.

To me, the appeal of both languages is the emphasis is on performance and full exploitation of logical concurrency. Both companies have novel multithreading products (Cray's MTA and Sun's Niagara/Rock), so one can expect these companies to be motivated to implement these languages and make them work well in the horizon of the 2007-2010 HPCS delivery date. Cray, IBM, and Sun's contracts are each about $50 million US.

Here are some slides on IBM's project, and its language called X10.
http://www.research.ibm.com/vee04/Sarkar.pdf