Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Floating point arithmetic

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] Floating point arithmetic
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 10:29:59 +1000

What's that got to do with no-one using parallel Java? Plenty of people
do parallel Fortran or parallel C/C++?

Amdahl's law is only a one dimension slice of the performance graph -
the real performance graph also includes an axis for problem
size. People typically increase their problem size as they use
faster/parallel computers. Consequently, Amdahl's law doesn't imply
parallel computers are useless (which was how it was first applied).

What I suspect is the biggest reason computational people have stayed
away from Java is the difficulty in linking to existing software
libraries written in C or Fortran (so I'm told). One of the _most_
important optimisation strategies is to link to a well tuned library
(eg Lapack or FFTW). I understand that Guava (the GNU Java compiler)
changes the picture somewhat, although people tend to stay away from
the GNU compiler for production code, as it tends to lag by a factor
of 2 of performance what the best commercial compilers can deliver. A
factor of 2 performance is a big difference when your codes run for 6
months or more!

Cheers