Re: [Swarm-Modelling] beginner part 2

From: Steven H. Rogers
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] beginner part 2
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 06:38:01 -0700

I've found Python to be about the "friendliest" programming language for general purpose programs and there are many specialty packages available for it. None specific to ABM, but SimPy is a good discrete event simulation toolkit and one user is doing epidemiological modeling, NumPy provides more general array handling functionality than Matlab, and SciPy addresses many classical scientific modeling issues. There are some GIS packages as well, though I haven't looked at them.

hilit wrote:
What do you think about writing an Individual based model in Matlab and then integrating GIS with it through Idrisi?

We had a doctoral student here in Zoology who did her re-introduction model (of an endangered species) this way.

Again, all these questions stem from my quest after the "friendliest" programming language.

Thanks,

Hilit

Regards,
Steve