Re: [Swarm-Modelling] general question on complexity

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] general question on complexity
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:04:03 -0700

Jacob Lee wrote:
Is the complexity of a system strongly correlated to the computational complexity of a model of that system?

Even if a model is functionally accurate in the sense of being validated (e.g. retrodictive out of sample) and predictive, there's the matter of whether the algorithms that implement it are close enough to what happens in the real world. Compare a software CPU simulator that describes all of the internal details of its silicon sibling. The software can predict what the hardware will do and exactly how fast it can do it, but the software may be orders of magnitude slower to give that answer. Further, the real time scaling of the two won't necessarily the same if, say, the simulator processes execution units of the CPU one at a time and then consolidates the results (doing bookkeeping arithmetic to work out the simulated real time that would have passed). That kind of labor serialization would lack realistic physical concurrency. It seems to me accurate ABMs that don't involve `representative agents', or aggregates e.g. models of low-level physical processes, models that are sufficiently detailed and concurrent (executed that way on as may CPUs as needed), and models that are executed dense in time would be strongly correlated. By "dense in time" I mean in Swarm terminology schedules with nonsequential events on them. In Swarm if there are events at t = 0, t = 2, and t = 1000, the computational cost is 3, not 1000.

Overall, I'd say model and system computational time (as opposed to Kolmogorov description) complexity could be strongly correlated if the ABM was developed with that in mind and there was detailed information available on the mechanics of the process itself.