Re: [Taler] Translation conventions German

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Translation conventions German
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 13:50:35 +0200

On 5/3/20 1:06 PM, Lukas Großberger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> exciting to see https://weblate.taler.net/ online, reducing the
> threshold for people to contribute translations.
>
> When I was suggesting a couple of German translations for the Taler
> website, I noticed that we might need a brief documentation for German
> translations regarding if and how gender neutral language is handled. I
> now went with the strategy of netzpolitik.org and use the form of
> "Benutzer:innen". However, that doesn't mean that we agree on this
> strategy or that everyone is directly aware that there is a convention
> like that.
>
> 1. Do we want to follow the ":" way to gender neutral language in German?

We want to use simple language that is easy to read (like in mainstream
news papers). Hence, I am against gendering, that remains a style of
language reserved to a particular segment of left-wing politics and
creates the danger of distracting from what we are actually talking about.

> 2. How do we document that convention such that anyone just logging in
> on Weblate is aware of it?

That's a very good point. I think there is a spot in Weblate where one
can configure onboarding text to document such decisions for new
translators. We should indeed formulate such a policy and put it there.
 As I said, we're still in testing mode ;-).