Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: C67 Support

From: Peter \"Firefly\" Lund
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: C67 Support
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:05:15 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

> Peter, as I understand you would like to cleanify the C67 port so that I
> can merge it easily ?

Yes.

> As you said, I would like the minimum number of
> ifdefs.

Trust me, I'm even more allergic to them than you are.

> It would also be interesting to see if pecoff (win32 exe format)
> can be derivated from the c67 coff support or if a totally new exe
> writer is needed (at least pecoff has a different header). I would like
> that both coff and elf are usable for c67 (I don't mind if it is
> selectable by an ifdef).

I don't know if elf even makes sense for C67 - I still have very little
experience with it.  (and I haven't read the two manuals for it yet -
I'll have to print them out at Uni)

> elf generation for c67 should be very easy
> especially if no DLLs are generated. Ideally, target endianness should
> also be selectable (what about big endian x86 ? :-)).

I would /love/ that.  Did you see my idea for having selectable integer
and pointer sizes?

> Testing is important, so we must have a way to use the C6x emulator. As
> I understand from the mailing list, it should be doable.

I'm currently looking at that.

> Note that my new project is a high performance portable Linux CPU user
> space emulator.

Interesting.  What is wrong with bochs and valgrind? ;)

> The first working target is x86. If someone wants to add
> C6x support, I believe it would be the fastest C6x emulator on Earth :-)
> If someone is interested, he must define an ELF file format for it (my
> emulator only support ELF input programs) and a way to make linux system
> calls, at least to do a write() on stdout for the tests.

That will have to be someone else than me.

Emulators are fun, but I think the world needs a usable Linux debugger
more (which is what I'm working on).

-Peter

"Of course, I'm not unbiased, but in my humble opinion, I've
 gotten close to something that I can be really proud of."
 -- Knuth on The Art of Computer Programming.