Re: [Tinycc-devel] C++ or C?

From: Axel Liljencrantz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] C++ or C?
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 21:13:20 +0200

On 5/22/06, ice <address@hidden> wrote:
Didn't early C++ compilers just translate the code to C?

Yes. This basically means that the C++-compiler is a front-end using C
as the intermediate language. This approach presents several problems,
some of which didn't exist in the early days:

* Implementing the standard C++ ABI - if you don't to this, you can't
link against any libraries not compiled with your compiler.
* Template metaprogramming is non-trivial to implement.
* If something goes wrong in the C compilation step or in the linking,
making the error messages make sense is _very_ hard.

On 5/22/06, PerfectDark <address@hidden> wrote:

> >Is there any work somewhere to make a C++ compiler on top of tcc ?
>
> It is a hard, VERY hard work - to implement full ISO-compliant C++
compiler(just look to gcc::cp code :) ) and, I think, it absolutely
unuseful. Except excellent gcc C++ compiler, there are a lot of free
compilers, even microsoft offer fast and free C/C++ compiler+PlatformSDK. I
sure, that tcc should be stable, small, simple, fast and reliable C compiler
(may be with simple and useful extensions - thanks to Ben Hinkle :) ) - with
possibility to use as internal runtime C compiler ( I work on win32 and I
HATE VisualBasic :) ).

43rd Law Of Computing: Anything that can go wro
sig: segmentation fault: core dumped