Re: [Tinycc-devel] Development/patches - subversion repository

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Development/patches - subversion repository
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 02:30:53 -0400

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 1:10 pm, Nick wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am not too concerned where the repository is hosted

Neither am I.

> - I can provide
> free svn hosting and there are other services available. My main
> frustration has been seeing useful patches but with nothing applied to
> the main source tree.

My earlier question: what patches did you apply to your svn?  Fabrice said
that CVS has only had two patches applied since the last release.  Possibly I
can navigate the CVS web thingy enough to figure out what they were.

At this point I'm pretty happy with an Andrew-Morton style repository.  "Take
the last release and apply these fifteen patches in order".  Let's worry
about getting stuff in source control once we've figured out what patches
should be in it.

I should scrub the list archives to see what's out there, and check Dave
Dodge's list against cvs.  (No, I do NOT have time to maintain another
project...  But I can help.)

> I think the solution is to open up write access to
> people actually working with TCC and making patches.

At OLS Alan Cox told me a maintainer's job is to say no.  They're like
magazine editors: they wade through the slush pile, take the best
submissions, proofread them and correct them, and stitch them together into
the next issue.  If they just take every patch they see without even reading
it first, they're not doing their job.

> For a small project like TCC I figure it can work as without one person
> as a maintainer. I don't particularly like the single-person-maintainer
> model and that is why I am not volunteering to be that one person.

Which sucks, because we need that one person and you're the closest we've come
this week.  (You at least set up an svn and offered to apply patches.)

A good wedge only has one point.  But at this point I think the priority is
figuring out where the current slush pile is and what's in it.  Which patches
are candidates for being applied?  (The closest I've seen is Dave Dodge's
list...)

> The more immediate thing that would help TCC would be a CVS/SVN system
> that was opened up so that people can apply patches.

Random strangers applying patches with no editorial oversight gives you
wikipedia.  It's not a good thing.

http://ozlabs.org/~rusty/index.cgi/tech/2005-09-17.html

> Nick

Rob