Re: [Tinycc-devel] Newer tinycc repository?

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Newer tinycc repository?
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:13:39 +0800

Sanghyeon Seo wrote:
> 2007/10/28, KHMan <address@hidden>:
>> In the end, my personal opinion is that revision control systems
>> matters much less than having good maintainers (or even just
>> commit monkeys) that can unite the community, keep discussions
>> from blowing up, and set the correct tone (i.e. one that
>> encourages participation and diversity rather than insist on
>> strict obeisance to the maintainer's practices, tools and
>> philosophy.)
>
> That sounds like Rob Landley to me. He is coding, you aren't.

This is what I mean, you know. This discussion is going round in
circles, and Mr Seo, you are not discussing but baiting. However
skilled one is in coding, maintaining a project entails much more
than coding.

You are making a comparison that no one of us can fulfill. Rob was
the only recent "maintainer", everyone else, IIRC, submitted
patches. Of course then, *no* *one* can compare to Rob. So, am I
disqualified from giving opinions and constructive criticism of
Peter Jackson because I did not create an adaptation of The Lord
of the Rings myself? Baiting is just a waste of everyone's time.

Regardless of what Rob has or has not done, having development run
on a private and personal repository has risks. Say, if Fabrice
gets abducted by aliens, I can still grab the CVS from Savannah.
So, regardless of how good or bad a maintainer is, I would still
say that a public repository has a lower inherent risk. If there
are public Mercurial hosts, all the better then, I guess.

To my, shall I say, wholly inexperienced eyes, the abrupt manner
in which Rob exited does not give him much merit, from the point
of view of a collective community. Note carefully that I am
arguing from an Eastern "collective benefit" rather than from a
Western "personal benefit" point of view. Yet I believe Rob
himself has made it clear on numerous occasions that he was only
hosting an unofficial tree. That was why I also said that whatever
his action where, he was well within his rights to do just that.

So you see, instead of another "fork", coupled with the inherent
risks of private infrastructure, isn't it better to have a public
repository and focus instead on making it seem like tcc is being
developed in one place and one tree only?

If Mr Seo is interested in taking action, I hereby offer to help
him sync the Mercurial snapshot that he has with the official CVS,
passing whatever patches necessary to David Wheeler.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)