Re: [Tinycc-devel] Missing symbol when compiling in -static

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Missing symbol when compiling in -static
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:56:27 +0200

RoboTux wrote:
But one concern remains: do we really want to make tinycc depends on gcc ? That sounds a bit weird to force the user to install gcc even if he only wants to compile with tinycc.

Well, if you want to solve _that_ problem then you'd need to talk to
the libc devs why their /usr/lib/libc.a depends on SEH support code
that is buried in the private gcc subdir.

On the other hand, provide dummy functions is perfectly possible and doesn't introduce regression, even if the functions aren't functional. On the contrary, they improve usability of the software since it would allow many programs, which don't use the 4 undefined symbols neither directly, nor indirectly, to be compiled statically with tinycc.

Thus, I'd like to commit dummy functions which anyone can then transform in
fully functional ones.

I guess to be "fully functional" this could easily mean several versions,
such as one for each gcc version that gnu/linux systems are compiled with.

Well, maybe I just don't understand.  Can we make "tcc -static" work with
libgcc_eh.a, say somewhat easily?

--- grischka

Thomas Preud'homme