Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyC++

From: Alain Greppin
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyC++
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 08:34:10 +0200

Basile Starynkevitch wrote:
What about templates or namespaces?

Unfortunately, I am not sure such a compiler would be useful: even if
some user may want a small subset of C++ (look into the Embedded C++
"standard"), it might not be the same subset from one user to another.
And most importantly, the major C++ library API (for instance C++
input/output streams) are defined using a lot of C++ features
(including templates).

Look at the Qt toolkit for instance. Even if it claims to not use
several C++ features, in practice it needs a nearly fully compliant C++
compiler to be compiled, and still the Qt API itself is not using all C+
+ features (but it depends on the stdc++ library which uses more of
them)
Hello,

I just like this idea of having a small C++ compiler to start with (yes, even a subset of EC++). And hopefully we are not forced to use iostream, libstdc++, STL, Qt and not even templates. This is also true when using an "ISO compliant" compiler.

Regards,
Alain Greppin