Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyC++

From: Rick C. Hodgin
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyC++
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 01:56:47 -0500

> Yes. And I am the main author of GCC MELT. See http://gcc-melt.org/ or
> gcc.gnu.org/wiki/MELT; I believe it could interest you for your RDC.
> (but please discuss MELT on address@hidden not here).

I've been following your conversations about the upcoming meeting /
summit.  Interesting.

> What about templates or namespaces?

Nope.  Just the encapsulation provided for by C++ classes.  Simple.
Would need to include support for inheritance, and that's about it.
After all, what more does a TinyC++ need? :-)

I have been looking at TinyCC's source code and I think I'm going to
continue developing my own compiler from the ground up as I have been.
What I have is quite small, fast, and although it is not optimizing in
any way, it looks to provide usable logic, processing, and the ability
to do what my primary goal is:  be able to launch the debugger, make
changes to my source, recompile them on-the-fly, and update the binary
image running in memory, as is seen in Microsoft's Visual Studio and
Debugger, with their "edit-and-continue" mode.

I am also working on my own debugger for this, as I find GDB to be way
antiquated and/or bloaty (probably due to its antiquity roots).

It's all still a way-pre-alpha work, but I'm heading toward it.

- Rick