Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC and "smart" linking

From: David Mertens
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC and "smart" linking
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 08:54:23 -0500

Oleg,

I think you missed Jared's point. There are many things one can try to target in a compiler. These include small compiler, fast compiler, produce compact executables, produce fast executables, and so on. GCC focuses on building fast executables. TCC's main goal is to quickly compile code. I repeat: runtime performance is not TCC's primary target. Minimizing code loading time would improve runtime performance at the cost of compile time, so you're not likely to get a lot of traction with your idea.

Can you think of a way to get smart linking to work with the many varied uses of TCC? I use TCC to compile C code on the fly in Perl scripts and call the resulting functions from my Perl code as I see fit. I don't expect smart linking to buy me much, if anything, but I do expect it to complicate TCC's internals and potentially slow it down. I am only one voice---and I am a user, not a developer---but I don't think that's a trade-off that I like much.

TCC is an open source project, of course. Perhaps your best solution is to fork it and add your own smart linking optimizations.

David