Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC and "smart" linking

From: Thomas Preud'homme
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC and "smart" linking
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 18:43:02 +0200

Le mercredi 10 octobre 2012 18:08:51, Oleg N. Cher a écrit :
> David,
>
> > TCC is an open source project, of course. Perhaps your best solution
> > is to fork it and add your own smart linking optimizations.
>
> Maybe I did, but I'm not so interested in the development of the
> compiler with the vague purpose of the speed of compiled code at the
> expense of quality. Judging by the fact that you reject the idea of ​​
> smart linking, it is. Also, I learned how difficult to push an own fork
> to the official release.

As David explains, the target of tinycc is speed of *compilation* and size of
the compiler itself. This makes it interesting to use it in embedded systems,
other programs or to do compilation test (think SCM hook for instance). If you
are interested in fast execution and compact code you should look at other
compilers.

A project can't do everything as several goal are often in conflict (it's
difficult to be fast to compile yet producing efficient code in this case) and
it
needs more resource. As a consequence, when you want to contribute to a
project it's important to find one whose goal(s) matches yours.

> I know that C is slowly compiled language. But producing compilers that
> have flaws, eliminated in the old TP, we are marking time.
>
> For me, the development in C is not an end in itself too. I'm looking
> for a good C compiler that produces small code for x86-32 and x86-64 to
> be a back-end for building my programs written in language Oberon for
> the XDev project. I came to this list to give you the idea, and not to
> implement it yourself. If you don't like to accept it (I understand,
> implementation is not so trivial), I'm using a different compiler, if I
> find it.

If you target code efficiency (wether in speed or size), you can take a look
into gcc or llvm.

> > David

Regards,

Thomas Preud'homme