Re: [Tinycc-devel] RISC-V support

From: Giovanni Mascellani
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] RISC-V support
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 09:50:17 +0200

Il 03/09/19 07:29, Christian Jullien ha scritto:
> Ok, that fine.
> Does it means that B (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC-V#Bit_manipulation)
> is currently implemented by soft. IMHO, for system programming it is a must
> have. For example, my OpenLisp implementation heavily relies on shift, bit
> mask...

I have no idea about how Micahel's implementation goes, but are there C
operations that directly map to something in the B extension? Shifts are
in the I "extension", and it is the only bit operation that C directly
supports. An optimizing compiler can recognize (or support by builtins)
more complicated patterns like counting leading zeros or rotating bits,
but it doesn't seems to be tinycc's case, does it? Am I missing something?

Thanks, Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <address@hidden>
Postdoc researcher - Université Libre de Bruxelles