Re: [Traverso-devel] Projects / Songs

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Projects / Songs
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:11:59 +0200

Hello Jonatan,

> Hi there again! I'm reading your discussions when I can, but I don't
> have enough time to help out very much, unfortunately...

No problem, though it would be lovely if you could give
input/suggestions/ideas on certain things being discussed here, like for
example the Projects - Songs one.

> Regarding this Song discussion, what is the purpose of songs? Why not
> just create a Project for each song?

Traverso has the concept of a Projects which can hold one or more Songs.
Each Song holds a number of tracks, which you can record too, import audio and
so on.
All Songs are currently 'loaded' by default, so switching from one Song to
another is very fast!
It's also possible to (re)use audio sources used from other songs.

When you do for example a recording session of a CD which holds 10 'Songs',
you create a new Project, holding one Song. You configure the Song, like
adding a number of Tracks, give them a name, do the patching (routing) etc.
Now when you start to record the next 'Song', it's as simple as clicking 'new
Song' in the Song manager view, and it will create an identical configured
Song for you! (At least, that's the idea)

However, people may be more used to 'one session' at a time. This means in
Traverso that a Project always has 1 Song, no more.
The same idea can be applied here, to create a new Project using an existing
Project as template, however it's less convenient. (imo of course)

So we're looking at:
* Is a Project -> Songs concept valuable
* How should it be managed
* Would a (Treelike) SongManager View do?
* Can user who only like to use one Song in a Project do their stuff the way
they like, that is, in a most optimal way
* Same, but for the Project -> multiple Songs concept
* etc

Hope you get the idea,