Re: [Traverso-devel] Reports about latest CVS

From: Jonatan Liljedahl
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Reports about latest CVS
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:26:48 +0200

Thanks for your comments!

>> * Snap is quite strange and hard to use, I think it snaps too much.
>> There's another way to do snapping: instead of the object beeing "drawn"
>> to the snap destination, it can "stick" to it so that you need to drag N
>> pixels beyond the snap destination to get it "loose", and then the snap
>> threshold is subtracted from the mouse position so even then you can
>> position an object just some pixel next to the snap position if you want.
>
> Strange, it (should) work(s) like you describe, however, if you have many
> clips and/or markers (and thus many snap points) it can act less smooth, also
> due all clips in the vertical range are taken into account currently, not
> only the visible ones.
> But perhaps I miss the point hehe.

No, I don't think it works as I described. As it is now, the clip is
"drawn" to the other, so that if the distance is less than N it will
jump to make the distance zero. But my suggestion is to not jump at all,
but instead "stick" to the other clip. So then I can put the clip even
only 1 pixel to the side of another, but then to move it past it I would
need to move my mouse more before the clip begins to move beyond the
other one, but still starting from 0.

>> * I would love a way to export only part of a song, perhaps using
>> markers? (When markers can have labels, one could just choose between
>> which markers should be used when exporting)
>
> Would be lovely indeed, need to think about this one a bit.
> My last idea is to have the export routine to have a list of clips, so one
> can
> export a range of clips or just one in one go, with a start and end
> position...

I'm not sure I understand why using a list of clips. You would mostly
want to export the entire song or a selected (start->end) part of it
(probably markers, since they are used also for CD export). And, I guess
the end mark needs to be taken into account also when exporting the
entire song, in case you want some silence at the end instead of cutting
it exactly at clip end? Especially if one has added reverb trough the
plugins, then the reverb tail will be longer than the actual clip end!

>> * Export fileformat settings, often you want to work with higher
>> bitresolution (and perhaps freq too) but export to 16 bit 44.1KHz, or 24
>> bit 48KHz, etc.. Note that this would need good quality SR conversion
>> and dithering, etc..
>
> Not sure what you mean here. The export dialog gives you these options
> allready ?

Sorry, I'm stupid! Sometimes you don't see the woods for all the trees... =)

--
/Jonatan         [ http://kymatica.com ]