Re: [Traverso-devel] CDRDAO export

From: Jonatan Liljedahl
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] CDRDAO export
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 17:14:33 +0200

Nicola Döbelin wrote:
>>> One open question:  Do we leave the standard 2 seconds of pregap
>>> silence between songs?  I'm thinking it should include "PREGAP
>>> 0:02:00" before the first track of each song's set of tracks,
>>> including before the very first track of the CD.  So in the above
>>>  example, we'd get:
>>>
>>> 1: (PREGAP 0:02:00) song 1 mark 1 2: song 1 mark 2 3: song 1 mark
>>> 3 4: (PREGAP 0:02:00) song 2 mark 1 5: song 2 mark 2 6: song 2
>>> mark 3
>> That's a good question. The standard says only that the first track
>> of a CD should have a 2 seconds pregap. So I'd say we let the toc
>> file generator put a 2 sec pregap before the first track in the
>> toc, but not at the first track of each song!
>
> According to wikipedia that is correct. Red Book CDs have a 2 second
> pregap only before track 01. It's trivial to add it to the toc file,
> I'll do it tonight.
>
>> And I think that in the future, there should be special pregap
>> markers. It could be visualised like if the track marks had a
>> draggable start and end point, painted in a transparent color. like
>> a range selection.. And so the start edge would mean PREGAP and the
>> end edge would mean start of TRACK. This way one can put whatever
>> they whish inside the pregaps, and make them any length.
>
> How about that: If there is no marker at position 0:0:0, write the
> part from 0:0:0 to the first marker into the pregap. That would allow
> to have a bonus track before track 01, but it wouldn't allow to have
> pre-gaps between, say, tracks 03 and 04.
>
> Oh dear, this is getting complex. (I see tons of if() conditions
> coming.) I'd rather prefer to add a fixed 00:02:00 pre-gap and not
> allow having any additional pre-gaps at all. But I'll see if I can at
> least add the above described compromise without messing it all up.

I don't think it need to be too complex. For now, just make a fixed 2
sec pregap before the first track in the TOC file. But then, to support
the Red Book standard fully (almost) we need some separate way to set
pregaps. Either another kind of marker, so we have track marks and
pregap marks, or (better, i think) let each track mark have a "pregap"
property which is visualized in some way. if a track marks pregap
property is zero then there's no pregap. And, the fixed 2 sec pregap of
the first track is now instead implemented by setting a 2 sec pregap as
default for the first trackmark. There could even be a check before CD
export to warn the user if the first trackmark doesn't have this
pregap... I don't think this needs tons of if statements. =)

> I would also like to ask for suggestions on key actions used for "add
> end marker" and "add CD index". We only have <M> for "add CD track"
> ATM. The end marker is added automatically, but since it can be
> deleted, it should also be possible to re-add it. Any suggestions?
> How about <SHIFT M>, and <CTRL M>?

Why not just make the last trackmark the end mark? So if the user
creates three marks, they'll be labeled 1, 2 and 'end'. If the user then
deletes the endmark, then the mark previously named '2' will become the
end mark instead. I think this is a really clean and simple solution,
since we anyhow can only have one end mark, and since we always need an
end mark to export the project, do there's no need to differ between
trackmarks and endmarks.

And, just a note, don't name it 'add CD index' since index is another
thing than tracks in the Red Book standard! According to the standard,
each track can have multiple indexes (like chapters, or something..)
even though most CD-players in the real world actually don't support
this feature. (And I don't think it's important for traverso to support
it either)

--
/Jonatan - http://kymatica.com