Re: [VM] vm-mark-folder-modified-p

From: Julian Bradfield
Subject: Re: [VM] vm-mark-folder-modified-p
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 09:33:24 +0000

Uday writes:
>Rethinking this issue, I think there has been a general misunderstanding of
>what it means for a folder to be visited read-only.  As the doc string of
>`vm-visit-folder' says, visiting a folder read-only just means that "no
>attribute changes, messages additions or deletions will be allowed in the
>visited folder."  It does NOT mean that the folder buffer will not be
>modified or that the folder on disk will be preserved.

I see the point: from vm's point of view, it may treat the data as
read-only, but change the meta-data, just as visiting a file read-only
may update its last access time.
However, I would expect most people to associate vm visiting a folder
read-only with emacs visiting a file read-only with opening a file
read-only.
Perhaps there should be a variable: vm-read-only-includes-metadata or
something!