Re: [VM] vm-mark-folder-modified-p

From: Kurt Hackenberg
Subject: Re: [VM] vm-mark-folder-modified-p
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 00:01:43 +0000 (UTC)

Uday Reddy  <address@hidden> wrote:

>Rethinking this issue, I think there has been a general misunderstanding of
>what it means for a folder to be visited read-only.  As the doc string of
>`vm-visit-folder' says, visiting a folder read-only just means that "no
>attribute changes, messages additions or deletions will be allowed in the
>visited folder."  It does NOT mean that the folder buffer will not be
>modified or that the folder on disk will be preserved.

Huh.  I kind of think it should mean that nothing changes -- no
attribute changes, nothing.  No changes in the displayed attributes,
either.

>(There might also have been a traditional view that vm is just an Emacs mode
>for viewing a mail folder on disk.  That view is not valid any more.  There
>could be changes made to the cached data headers, messages might move in and
>out of the IMAP cache folders etc.  VM is evolving into a mail-reading
>front-end that can transparently handle a variety of message stores at the
>back end.  A mail folder on disk is just one possible back end.)

Read-only and cache are two separate things.  The cache could change
as the master copy on the IMAP server changes, and VM could display
those changes, without VM changing anything at the server itself.