Re: [VM] Mainly: How do you use virtual folders every day? and other que

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: [VM] Mainly: How do you use virtual folders every day? and other questions
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 12:42:33 +0100

Uday Reddy <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden writes:
>
> I discovered through experience that I am the kind of guy that only looks at
> one INBOX regularly.  So, sorting incoming mail into separate folders
> doesn't help me.  I never look at the stuff that has been sorted away.  So,
> I stick to a single INBOX.

More or less the same here...

I have a mail filter (sort of procmail, but written in Perl) that
distributes mails from mailing lists into local newsgroups (nnml) that I
read with Gnus. All other mail arrives in my INBOX. I also keep BCCs of
every mail I send out in my INBOX, so I have a complete overview of
discussions.

Sometimes I archive mail that has been dealt with, e.g. business mail,
but most often I do not. Every month, I move the INBOX to INBOX.YYYYMM,
and the INBOX I work with is a virtual folder consisting of the current
INBOX, and the old INBOXes of the past three months. This way I keep the
mails that I have online limited to 1000-2000.

I index all my mailboxes with mairix so I can quickly retrieve relevant
messages.

-- Johan