vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] Jabber and VRS

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] Jabber and VRS
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:25:53 +0100

On Thursday 11 April 2002 16:37, Bill Lance wrote:
> Chris,
>
> How do you see Jabber working with the VRS?

Hi there.
Been V. busy of late - looming delivery deadline,
plus trying to get an XML gateway project spec'd out  :o)

Jabber.
Well, it's quite simple really.

View the VRS as a clustered resource server, serving webservices
for the world, and doing so via SOAP.

SOAP is transport-less and so may be transfered over HTTP/SMTP/FTP
raw TCP and Jabber.

So SOAP requests for webservices contained in a VRS may be satisfied
over Jabber as well as HTTP etc.

I was not suggesting that Jabber be used as the 'stuff that holds
the VRS cluster together'.  The clever bit of the VRS is the way
the VRS holds itself together, and the control messages required
for this are *different* in nature to those that Jabber supports.
Goldwater/VRS internally uses  both RPC type calls and Publish/Subscribe
and really really  wants to use multicast IP for this - but can't
until the internet backbone catches up...

The VRS is a tightly controlled application. It knows what nodes
are where and wants to feel them under its fingertips. It does not
want or need the lightweight and flexibility of Jabber's messaging.

So, I see Jabber as being just another transport over which
webservice requests may be sent and received. If other dotGNU
efforts also adopt Jabber, then interoperability is ensured.

We could even use Jabber to BRIDGE VRS's and SEE's together.
Jabber performs routing, and it is that which we capatalise
upon inorder to construct the bridges.

I've not looked at Jabber properly for ages.  One of these days
I'm going to have a right old dig arround!

Chris

--
Chris Smith
  Technical Architect - netFluid Technology Limited.