vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] Service Manager free-style

From: Eric Altendorf
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] Service Manager free-style
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:52:22 -0700

Just got internet service back, so I'm back online...

On Monday 15 April 2002 03:54, you wrote:
> It's far more efficient to have the request routed to the LDS that can
> satisfy the request and the result routed back, than have the accessed node
> get hold of the resource from the reomte LDS and run it locally, because
> the size of the resource may be far greater than request and reply put
> together.

I suppose that is usually the case.  I was thinking of typical web apps where
the majority of the data in the response is generated HTML, and the data
loaded from the store may merely consist of some small amount of raw data.
It's not unusual to load a few K of data and use that to generate a 50K web
page.  But that may not the the case, in general.  Ideally we would support
either mode of operation, but we should probably just pick one for now.

> Redirection is not possible as that functionality is not
> supported nicely by SOAP and similar protocols... it *may* work with SOAP
> over HTTP, because you can get HTTP requests to redirect - but I've never
> tried this with SOAP so can't guarantee it will work - it's certainly not
> in the spec.  It definately WILL NOT work with SOAP over SMTP, or FTP - so
> it's probably a no no. Besides, the LDS that provides the requested
> resource may not be accessable publically, so redirection won't be
> possible.

Hmm.  Good point.  So how is it that a client, who only knows to connect to a
VRS through a particular publicly known IP address, will be connected to a
different LDS?

Eric

--
"First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.
 Then they fight you.  And then you win."             -Gandhi