vrs-development

[Vrs-development] Dynamic GW domain table

From: Eric Altendorf
Subject: [Vrs-development] Dynamic GW domain table
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:00:10 -0700

I suppose I could envision functionality in the cluster manager that
receives requests from running programs for particular services,
discovers domains providing those services by talking to other CM's,
and swaps those domains in to slots in GW's domain table.  It would
also have to keep track of the connectness of the entire VRS to avoid
partitioning (one group of nodes getting completely disconnected from
another group).

And as you point out, the distributed filesystem will complicate
things a little bit.  Any filesystem-modifying operation (eg write())
must be synchronized among the various nodes that either store the
virtual sector in question, are reading it, or are writing to it.
That means that all those nodes will have to be swapped in to slots
in GW's domain table before the write can complete, and that the
write will block or fail if there aren't enough slots to swap all the
nodes in.  (Talk about a slow filesystem. :-)

I'm skeptical, but your persistence has convinced me that it's
possible. :-)

Eric

--
"First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.
 Then they fight you.  And then you win."             -Gandhi