Re: [Adonthell-general] Combat

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Combat
Date: 16 Apr 2002 10:31:47 +0200

> > My suggestion is the following: I think we should have real time
> > combat on the map (a different combat screen does not make for
> > consistant gameplay, and it would mean double the graphics(and well,
> > we could always add that later on)).
>
> Yep. Combat should definitely take place on the map. That way it will
> integrate much better, just like you said.

Right. This problem has been one of the longest debate we had on this
list ;)

> However, I don't really agree with the pure "in game approach" you
> suggest. I think there must still be ways to calculate how much damage a
> spell or hit does. This involves natural resistances as well as armour
> and other means of protection. After all, if a certain spell or weapon
> or attack always causes the same damage it would be rather boring.

I have to agree with Kai here. Actually I'm okay with his whole mail
(which is not very far from what Nils proposed). One point, about the
controls though: even though I'm not for a system where the player only
has limited control, I'm eveb more against a zelda-like control system
where only the player dexterity would count. We need to have a bit of
strategy there too.

This is especially true for weapons like arrows and others throwable
things. In a total in-game control system, the player would need to
adjust his position to fully face the opponent he wants to shot - you
could only shot vertically or horizontally. I think it'd be better if
the player could select his target, and, based on his dexterity and
others background-stats, the arrow is well shot or not. That way, no
matter the direction of the two characters, there is always a direct way
to shot without moving.

You'd have to give the right weapons to the right persons in order to
have an efficient team. The role of the player would be to place his
characters where they would be the most efficient (an archer on a high
rock, safe from swords, for example) and such things. This is a rather
intermediate solution between two extremes.

Of course before discussing much details we'd need something basic
first. That's why I encourage you too to give a try to the inventory -
all inventories have the same base anyway.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org