Re: [Adonthell-general] Combat

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Combat
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:25:10 +0200

On 16 Apr 2002 10:31:47 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> This is especially true for weapons like arrows and others throwable
> things. In a total in-game control system, the player would need to
> adjust his position to fully face the opponent he wants to shot - you
> could only shot vertically or horizontally. I think it'd be better if
> the player could select his target, and, based on his dexterity and
> others background-stats, the arrow is well shot or not. That way, no
> matter the direction of the two characters, there is always a direct
> way to shot without moving.

I could imagine that an archer would have one additinal button that
cycles through the available opponents. As long as a certain opponent is
selected, all attacks are directed against that opponent.

Actually something similar could be done in melee combat as well. Once
the player hit an opponent, his character would automatically follow the
moves of that opponent. He wouldn't leave his position, just turn around
to face the opponent. If the opponent gets out of reach, the player had
to pursue him. Of course, the player could walk away whenever he wants,
as his keypresses would override the automatic commands.

I think that would simplify combat a bit, giving you more time to
concentrate on some kind of strategy or special moves. (Actually, if you
look at all those fighting games, even the 3D ones, the opponents always
face each other automatically.)