Re: [Adonthell-general] Combat

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Combat
Date: 16 Apr 2002 12:17:55 +0200

> I could imagine that an archer would have one additinal button that
> cycles through the available opponents. As long as a certain opponent is
> selected, all attacks are directed against that opponent.
>
> Actually something similar could be done in melee combat as well. Once
> the player hit an opponent, his character would automatically follow the
> moves of that opponent. He wouldn't leave his position, just turn around
> to face the opponent. If the opponent gets out of reach, the player had
> to pursue him. Of course, the player could walk away whenever he wants,
> as his keypresses would override the automatic commands.
>
> I think that would simplify combat a bit, giving you more time to
> concentrate on some kind of strategy or special moves. (Actually, if you
> look at all those fighting games, even the 3D ones, the opponents always
> face each other automatically.)

Very good idea. I thought too about using such a "target" system but
your idea goes much further. Characters should be able to keep the "safe
distance" in combat - that is, the distance where the opponent has to
approach to hit you but where you can also attack without making too
much moves. In melee, attacking could result in approaching if
necessary, hitting, and returning back to the safe distance. If the
opponent moves, you could follow your target - this might remain an
option however. The general idea is very good I think. You should not
have to align yourself with your opponent just to hit him.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org