Re: [Adonthell-general] Items

From: Benjamin Walther-Franks
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Items
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 21:01:33 +0200

At Tuesday 08.10.2002 20:27, you wrote:
On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 19:08:32 +0200 Benjamin Walther-Franks wrote:

> > Btw, as I read the table, the numbers show both the availablity of
> > teachers and the maximum rank a certain race can gain in an ability,
> > right?
>
> I hadn't considered that when creating the table, but it doesn't sound
> bad. On the other hand, if we see the availability as per rank it
> wouldn't be necessary to have a rank limit, as getting a second rank
> in a rare ability would be just as hard as getting the first. So
> having three or four ranks in an ability thats rare or very rare for
> you is near to impossible anyway.

Well ... really? I mean, once you found the one teacher in the game that
teaches a dwarf in fire magic, what would prevent the teacher to teach
all 5 ranks over the time? Of course, the game designer can say that the
teacher can't or won't do that because ... . But that's completely up to
the designer. If we had it in the rules it would be clearer.

We might further want to add that teachers for higher ranks are harder
to find. I mean, even if magic is common among Elves, extraordinary
magicians would still be pretty rare.

Good points, and I don't have a handy answer yet. I'll think up something.

> Don't forget that they'd be totally free as the player always needs to
> expend Experience (advancement points) for a new rank, no matter how
> he gains it.

Sorry? There's something wrong here, isn't it? ;). Possibly a 'not'
missing.

Oops. Of course it should read "Don't forget that they'd NOT be totally free..." ^_^

> I agree. We should have as many generic solutions as we can, and this
> is certainly a very good one. I'll write that into the rules aswell.

Glad you like it :). You might also want to add it to your GUI doc :).

(puff) ...On my way...(pant!) ;)

BEN