Re: [aspell] LaTeX and umlauts

From: Enrico Scholz
Subject: Re: [aspell] LaTeX and umlauts
Date: 26 Jun 2000 23:24:00 +0200

Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
> > Well, I could create my own dictionary with quoted umlauts and saying "
> > is a letter, but this is just an ugly hack (I believe ispell recognizes
> > this encoding automatically).
>
> If you want to use a hack make the " as a middle character not a letter
> otherwise the quotes will cause all sorts of problems as anything that
> ends is a quote will be considered a misspelling.

Thanks, it works well. But the "create master" option doesn't respect
the --run-together-middle option...

 -----
|$ echo 'F"uer' | aspell --run-together-middle=\" -C --lang=german create
master ./test
|Invalid word "F"uer": The character '"' may not appear at the middle of a word.
 -----

After setting " as a letter in iso-8859-1.dat I was able to build my dictionary.

> [...]
> > Footnotes:
> > [1]  no, I can not simple type the 8bit umlauts because I am writing on
> >      an english keyboard...
>
> You probably can using the Compose key.  If you are using Linux and
> don't have one Xfree can fake it for you using the scroll lock or some
> other key.

I assume that using the Compose key slows down my typing too much
(umlauts are being used relatively often in german).

Furthermore my xterm (and those of a Sparc I am using sometimes) doesn't
recognize 8bit chars, so I am prefering the encoding of the umlauts...

Thanks ... Enrico