Re: [aspell] LaTeX and umlauts

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell] LaTeX and umlauts
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:00:18 -0400 (EDT)

On 26 Jun 2000, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > [...]
> > > Well, I could create my own dictionary with quoted umlauts and saying "
> > > is a letter, but this is just an ugly hack (I believe ispell recognizes
> > > this encoding automatically).
> >
> > If you want to use a hack make the " as a middle character not a letter
> > otherwise the quotes will cause all sorts of problems as anything that
> > ends is a quote will be considered a misspelling.
>
> Thanks, it works well. But the "create master" option doesn't respect
> the --run-together-middle option...

I'm sorry you need to modify the language data file to be

special " -*-

if special is already there add the info to the end.  See the manual
(international section) for the exact details.

> > > [1]  no, I can not simple type the 8bit umlauts because I am writing on
> > >      an english keyboard...
> >
> > You probably can using the Compose key.  If you are using Linux and
> > don't have one Xfree can fake it for you using the scroll lock or some
> > other key.
>
> I assume that using the Compose key slows down my typing too much
> (umlauts are being used relatively often in german).

Not really you hit the compose than type the umlauts and it should produce
the 8 bit character.  So it takes one extra key press....

> Furthermore my xterm (and those of a Sparc I am using sometimes) doesn't
> recognize 8bit chars, so I am prefering the encoding of the umlauts...

Very well....

--
Kevin Atkinson
address@hidden