Re: [Beaver-devel] TODO additions

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] TODO additions
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:58:51 -0500

Leslie Polzer wrote:
Yeah, ideally (and according to the HIG), the toolbar is customizable.

Hm, I really should get familiar with the HIG.

I'm pretty happy with it -- it's an interesting read if you are into useability. I'm assuming you know where it is -- http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/ just in case. I particularly like it because it means we can outsource the burden of making Beaver user-friendly by just adhering to this standard.

Additional and extraordinary syntax hightlighting feature proposal:
Highlight by syntax and context, e.g. for variable types not intrinsic.
It has always been annoying to me that there is absolutely no editor
that hightlight custom data types in C (think GtkWidget).
I have made some studies with PerlRE on this subject and must conclude
that it is possible to achieve this with some nice regular expressions.
This feature should be optional, though.

Sounds cool.  It's a feature I've often missed.

How about your experience with regular expressions?

Not much, I'm afraid.

Autotoolizing. I know Automake and Autoconf and could do this one
if you don't have any problems with it - GetText will be yours to do
in any case, though.

Sure.  I don't care who does it, but we definitely need to autotoolize.  :)

I'll do a working (though less-than-perfect) version in configure.ac
format by tomorrow or friday. It depends on whether I get home late
or not tomorrow.

Cool.

Another thing: I'd like to have line numbering with a nice (probably
adjustable) border on the left. I have a problem with text glueing
at the most outer left of my screen.
Do you have any ideas on line numbering? The border should be no problem
of course.

Aren't there four windows around a GtkTextView (gtk_text_view_get_window)? You could stick a GtkTextView inside one of them, have it be non-editable, and be full of lines with numbers. I think that might scroll with the view. Not sure.

BTW, I'm going to be taking a vacation from this Saturday to the next. You'll have CVS all to yourself. (assuming you can access it) ;)

-mt