bontz-team

Re: [Bontz-team] fish monger

From: Owen Swerkstrom
Subject: Re: [Bontz-team] fish monger
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 08:28:32 -0700 (PDT)

> so how big do you want this guy?

The guy, about the same size as Furgason.  I've made
another cheesy mock-up with furgason in this guy's
place.

> i sort of picture it as having a single sprite with
> the full animatiion of
> the fish flopping in the basket...and one without...
> otherwise you are going to have to have one BIG
> sprite to allow him to carry
> all the fish, or even just one fish.
> either that, or maybe shrink down the fish a little?

It will be crowded for the fish, but that's just
motivation for them to flop away as fast as possible!
:^)  I think have 'em flopping around almost in the
same space, we'll make sure the basket is at least 128
pixels wide so there's no chance of them poking
through the sides.  If we really wanted to getfancy we
could have one jump up extra high at random intervals
(by sliding its sprite up a ways then right back down)

> this guy is going to need a lot of layers if you
> actually want to combine
> two sprites and have the program animate it
> we will need a background layer mostly for the
> basket, a middle layer with
> the fish, and then a forground layer to cover
> everything else up.  currently
> i have nothing set up to do multilayer sprites. but
> i think it is possible.

Rather than multilayer sprites, how about think of it
as two sprites in the same place: one the back of the
basket, and one the guy and the front.  Between those
two are the sprites of the fish, positioned so they're
within the basket.  All single-layered sprites, just
moving together.

> the hardest part may be hiding the full fish in the
> middle layer, so it
> doesn't poke through the sides of the basket. any
> ideas?  also i may need a
> new format for the info file to allow something like
> this.

Like I say we'll make sure the front of the basket
covers up the area that the fish sprites could
possibly use.

> the reason i think we need full animation for all
> directions is that i
> picture using it as a NPC in the game and if we want
> him to be able to
> wonder around, then we are going to need full
> animation in all directions.
> we will probably have to have some sort of fish
> market.  go to the fish
> market buy fish, eat the fish and they return your
> health?

perhaps.  And maybe in keeping with our twisted sense
of humor the fish would have more sinister purposes as
well...  I do like the idea of this guy being in the
main game as well.  But what animation I do for him
for the minigame probably won't be the same as in the
main game.  The tedious part is modelling.  Thanks to
blender's armatures, animation takes a lot less time.
So making this guy carrying around a basket isn't
hard, just making him in the first place is.  In the
main game maybe he's just got a big cart that he sells
fish from or something.  It would be kinda awkward to
come up and talk to a guy who's got this giant basket
in front of him.