fhsst-authors

Re: [Fhsst-authors] Science Writing Competition

From: Mark Horner
Subject: Re: [Fhsst-authors] Science Writing Competition
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:34:45 -0700

Hi Vanessa and Kevin

I agree with your strategy, sounds like the best way to approach the situation.

So here is the proposed plan:

- we try to raise money to hold our own competition with the objectives Vanessa outlined. I will put some more effort into the document to turn it into a proposal. Then we need to find a sponsor.

- we make an effort to contact the entrants for the other competition and see if they will make their content available - with some additional information about themselves so we can include them as essays in the books. The criteria for this competition are pretty much the criteria we have for essays.

That would kill tons of birds with two stones.

This is very exciting - solving the essays problem and boosting our content - we'll change the face of education yet ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Vanessa McBride wrote:
Hi Everyone

Unless I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick, I thought the objectives of
the two
competitions were very different:

FHSST competition -aims to provide content for a textbook for in depth education of young people -content will include equations -worked examples and lots of repetition to get the concepts across

SAASTA competition -aims to entertain as well as educate readers of the Saturday Star
-will probably not have equations!
-more emphasis on generating public interest rather than in-depth understanding

Based on this, I don't think it will be a good idea to merge the competitions.
However, SAASTA
entries - if we can get hold of them like Kevin suggests - will probably
provide valuable input for
the "essays" in FHSST.

Take care,
Vanessa