Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth's panther performance

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth's panther performance
Date: 26 Jun 2003 00:04:03 +0200

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 21:57, Peter Hanappe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I should say that I had just started porting to MacOS X but
> didn't complete it. I used Apple's ProjectManager instead of
> the autotools because it was easier to get started. The hard disk of the
> powerbook I used has since crashed and I lost the project file ....

FluidSynth is real easy to build on OS X now. You just need the Apple
developer stuff as well as the coreaudio SDK. You then just build like
on Linux (well at least it should go like that).

> The audio driver definitely needs to be rewritten. I didn't
> find the CoreAudio documentation to be very clear so I am not
> comfortable with the internals of CoreAudio. However, it should be
> possible to use the PortAudio driver, which probably works very well.

Thanks for clearing that up. It makes more sense now. Too bad its not
possible to test coreaudio stuff on the SourceForge compile farm (no way
to hear the audio), or I'd try and see if I could help with it. Perhaps
I'll get access to an OS X machine again sometime soon. Would be nice
for an OS X developer to take this on though, since I don't quite have
the same incentive to work on it as someone who uses OS X would.

> There is currently no MacOS X specific midi driver but
> Midishare driver should work. I haven't tried it, though, but I
> maybe Stephane Letz has some feedback on that.
>
> So PortAudio+Midishare is probably the fastest way to get
> FluidSynth running correctly on MacOS X right now.

Whats your opinion on OS X and Windows binaries? I can cross compile a
win32 build using mingw32 that depends on DirectSound and the windows
MIDI API. For now the OS X build would depend on MidiShare and
PortAudio.
Building Swami for OS X was fairly easy, using fink. I'd like to see
about building with the Aqua GTK+ library so fink wouldn't be required.
Windows, on the other hand, has been a nightmare. DLLs and plugins are
really hard to get cross compiled with mingw. I'm stuck on building an
export library for Swami that can then be linked with plugins, so all
their dependencies can be satisfied. I think I've given up on it for now
though, before I become suicidal (not really, but almost).

> Cheers,
> Peter

Cheers.
        Josh Green