Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth's panther performance

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth's panther performance
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:57:43 -0500

The noteon test works.  The sound seems to be kind of crunchy, that
probably isn't what was intended.

Downloading and configuring MidiShare is not a terribly straightforward
thing to do in my opinion.  Everything has to be gotten out of CVS,
which I can't get to work on the command line, and downloading things
item-by-item over the Web isn't fun.  Can Stephane Letz or someone else
at Grame please make a tar.gz version of the needed files for OS X and
put it on the MidiShare download page and send me the link?  Also a
README for how to install?

Finally, as for MIDI on Mac OS X, its definitely supported, but I have
no idea how. There is some docmentation at

developer.apple.com/audio/macosxaudio.html

in particular, look for a PDF file.  This thing gives a clue about where
to look for a driver:

% ls /System/Library/Extensions | grep -i "midi"
AppleMIDIFWDriver.plugin
AppleMIDIUSBDriver.plugin

I don't know how these things work or whether they would support
"non-hardware" MIDI like I want to use (clavier).

The document also talks about something called "coremidi" or the
"CoreMIDI Framework" --- given the similarity of this to "coreaudio",
it seems to me that this is a likely lead.

Joe