Re: [fluid-dev] making a standalone fluidsynth plugin on Mac

From: R.L. Horn
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] making a standalone fluidsynth plugin on Mac
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 23:43:56 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012, Antoine Schmitt wrote:

My problem is that I end up with an Xtra (DLL) that depends on many fink shared libraries, which are not available on the end-user system,

        /usr/local/lib/libgthread-2.0.0.dylib
        /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib

  GNU GLib:  http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/glib/

        /sw/lib/libreadline.5.dylib

  GNU readline: ftp://ftp.cwru.edu/pub/bash/
  or:  ./configure --without-readline

        /sw/lib/libdbus-1.3.dylib

Probably best to not use it at all unless there's a specific need: ./configure --disable-dbus-support

        /sw/lib/libsndfile.1.dylib

Needed for writing .wav files, etc.: http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/

Or ./configure --disable-libsndfile-support if you don't require the functionality.

        /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib
        /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib

Provided by GNU gcc. A complete gcc install should have static versions of both. You'll have to pass the "-static-libgcc" and "-static-libstdc++" options to the linker to use them.

I don't know if the Darwin linker will let you get away with this or not. Hopefully, someone who knows about macs will chime in. Also, linking these statically may cause problems with exception handling.

If fink doesn't provide static versions, you might have to build GCC yourself. Get gcc-core and gcc-g++ from ftp://ftp.gnu/org/gnu/gcc and follow the build/install instructions. A 4.2 or 4.4 version should be adequate, and have fewer build dependencies than 4.6.