gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: GNOME Commander status

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Re: GNOME Commander status
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:08:19 +0100

Micha wrote:
| I think this is better solved by having the
| "no mount ("this is a dir")" option on a per
| mountpoint basis nsted of globally as it is now.

Yes, you can implement it in several ways.
However, why bother the user with thinking about it at all ?
no supermount -> always try to mount in background -> doesn't work: just cd into folder. supermount active -> never mount Why a checkbox at all ?

Several reasons.

1. Supermount is not the only way of automounting,
there are many other ways to achieve this, so you cannot
check for just that specific one, and supermount isnt just an
automounter, it is a pseudo filesystem that gets automounted.

2. It is controlled through the ordinary fstab, which
means that all removables does not need to be supermount
filesystems. You can have a mix of not automount and
automounted volumes, even automounted with different
solutions. **

3. "always try to mount in background" would produce a
"permission denied" on my system, since root are the
only one allowed to that command on my system (and many
other systems i belive).

4. There can also be a umount problem, since supermounted
volumes does not need to be unmounted by user. Just rip
out the media, gizmo or whatever, this even if you are viewing
the content of it in the filelist.

** I have been tinkering around for a supermount based
solution that automounts volumes under a mountpoint autocreated
and named after the removable volumes name, or type (CD, DVD,
usb-mass-storage whatever) if a "sane" volume name is missing
(involves auto editing/updating of fstab). But i have not had
time to really dive in to it.

| Since i use supermount i do not have your
| problems and can use device icons just like
| a bookmark thanks to the "no mount"

Then this is a bug, since i checked "no mount" too.
Nonetheless gc mounts anything correctly.
If a dir is already mounted, then gc doesn't complain.
I guess it checks for supermount and if that is not active,
ignores the option completely (that is, always mount)

Now i do not understand you.

| Gnome allredy have that ask-for-password that
| pops up when it is needed. I think gcmd can use
| that too. But i cannot recall its name.. gsudo
| or something like that.

or maybe gksu. But it invoked the single window terminal last time
i tried it. While a little menu entry like <sudo multi-gnome-terminal -t ROOT-COMMANDER -e "su -c 'sleep 1 && mc -e $1'">
would give you the multi terminal.
That's quite a difference since it allows you for more password-less terminal
tabs.
I implement such stuff as part of my 'gnome-commander-tools' wrapper script, though, because i got tired of debugging the char passing of this undocumented
gc API. That way i have to insert <gnome-commander-tools root-viewer> without
any ' or " mess.

Now i do not understand you again.

What is it that you want to achieve?
I thought it was something like: mark a file in the
filelist, hit F4, run or whatever action, and if it
requires root password - then ask for it.